Monday, February 8, 2010

Eadweard J. Muybridge Fact

Eadweard J. Muybridge (1830-1904)

The Alta California, a news paper in the mid 19th century, once wrote of Muybridge: "he has waited several days in the neighborhood to get the proper conditions of atmosphere for some of his views; he has cut down trees by the score that interfered with the cameras best point of sight; he had himself lowered by ropes down precipices to establish his instruments in places where the full beauty of the object to be photographed could be transferred to the negative; he has gone to points where his packers refused to follow him, and he has carried the apparatus himself rather than to forgo the pictures on which he has set his mind."

I decided to take this pioneering attitude into the field with my camera last week, and I promptly got my car stuck in the snow. I did get some pictures while my car was stuck, then I lost my clog in a large pile of snow and had to dig my car out of the snow by hand and drive home. In the midst of all this my cell phone was ringing, but I lost that too.

No comments:

Post a Comment