Sunday, January 31, 2010

The Taoist Maniac

Who were the guys that left the bread crumbs on the ground to help find their way home? Whoever they were, I bet they wish they had some of this Spanish Tapas instead of a bag of crumbs.

Anyway, I got to thinking the other day (an activity that normally leads to a state of despondency) that maybe the pictures we take might be left behind to help someone find their way home. Who knows? Maybe if I look close enough, I might find my own way home. In some strange way, photography reminds me that the past is my companion not my adversary, and the future is something I can help shape not run from. Normally "the state of the nation" just makes me want to bury my head in a hole, but taking photographs can be an empowering experience. I feel like capturing moments of time gives me something permanent to hold onto-life moves so fast now. Maybe life moves at the same pace it always has, and its me that has slowed down. When I take pictures I feel in sync with life. I'm not pushing or pulling. I think the Taoist philosophers called this the art of non-action. I wish I new how to live life the way I take pictures. Generally speaking, I'm a pusher and a puller. You might say I'm a crazed maniac, but a gentle maniac-I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment